Juntos Aprendemos [Together We Learn]
Imagine a community where every Latino child is prepared to succeed in kindergarten and Latino parents are empowered as their children’s first teachers and advocates. Every year Latino Network’s Juntos Aprendemos program strives to reach these goals.
Juntos Aprendemos equips 3-5 year olds and their parents with the early literacy and school readiness skills needed to overcome barriers facing Spanish-speaking children in our community. Since 2000, Juntos Aprendemos has served more than 1,650 Latino children and parents through this community-driven program that:
- Increases early numeracy and literacy skills in Spanish
- Fosters a love of books and reading
- Develops social skills and appropriate classroom behavior
- Embraces Latino culture and heritage through stories, songs, rhymes, and languages
- Partners with parents to strengthen communication and advocacy skills and their knowledge of how to navigate the U.S. educational system
- 100% of eligible program graduates successfully registered on time for kindergarten
- Over 97% of children increased their abilities to recognize written letters, count, hold a book correctly, and focus on classroom activities
- 93% of children starting kindergarten improved their ability to match letter sounds to written letters, and correlate numbers with objects
- 100% of parents reported reading with their children at least 3 times a week
Juntos Aprendemos is held weekly at area elementary schools, often where a child will attend kindergarten. Children gain a first school experience in a nurturing environment that embraces their parents, their culture, and their first language. Juntos Aprendemos uses the effective capacity building model of recruiting its teachers from parent graduates.
Current School Sites include:
- Rigler Elementary
- Cesar Chavez K-8
- Harvey Scott K-8
- Lent K-8
- Mill Park Elementary
- Glenfair Elementary
- Shaver Elementary
- Metzger Elementary
- Bridgeport Elementary
- Ventura Park Elementary
Contact Sadie Feibel to enroll your child today at (503) 283-6881 or Sadie@latnet.org
Latino Network thanks the following organizations for their support: Portland Children’s Levy, Kaiser Permanente Community Fund/Northwest Health Foundation, Portland Public Schools, David Douglas School District, Tigard-Tualatin School District, Social Venture Partners Portland, Lora L. and Martin N. Kelley Foundation Trust, Umpqua Bank Charitable Trust and OCF Advised Fund Donors.
*Based on 2013-2014 program surveys.