Early Childhood Education
Juntos Aprendemos / Together We Learn
Schools: Glenfair, Rigler, Harvey Scott and César Chávez
Our model early childhood education program provides Latino children with the crucial first building blocks of academic success. Consciously designed to address the serious gaps in school readiness faced by Spanish speaking children in our community, Juntos Aprendemos serves over 100 families each year in four high needs schools in North, Northeast and East Portland. The very committed mothers and fathers who attend each week are determined to create a better future for their children; in Juntos Aprendemos they develop the confidence and skills to become powerful teachers and advocates for their children’s academic success.
- Early Childhood Education Coordinator:
- Parent Education Coordinator:
- Children’s Teacher Assistant
- Parent Educator Assistant
- Teachers in Training
Juntos Aprendemos is a parent-child early literacy program focused on family involvement as a key principal in building the foundation for children’s success in school. The project brings low income Spanish speaking families with children three to five years old to their neighborhood school for a series of 30 weekly classes. Children’s first school experience is in a nurturing environment that embraces their parents, their culture and their first language. While children gain essential kindergarten readiness skills, their parents—who typically have little formal education—gain the skills they need to become effective as their children’s first teachers.
- Each year over 100 children and their parents participate in structured weekly classes that introduce children to the excitement of reading and build the skills they need to be successful when they enter kindergarten.
- Juntos Aprendemos has served 1,550 children and parents since its creation in 2000, and is lead by a team of dynamic Latino parents. These community leaders began as program participants who returned to volunteer in the program and have refined their skills through ongoing professional development and mentoring.
- Annual evaluations consistently demonstrate that:
- 100% children make measurable gains on early literacy and kindergarten readiness skills
- 90% parents report reading with their children more frequently as a result of participating in Juntos Aprendemos
- 100% parents report engaging in more educational activities with their children in the home
Padres Promotores de Educacion (PPE)
Padres Promotores de Educacion is a parent organizing and leadership project designed to build parent knowledge, confidence and skills as active partners in their children’s education. Building on the strength and leadership of parent graduates of Juntos Aprendemos, the PPE project engages Latino parents in workshops and hands-on projects to promote the academic success of their own children and advocate for systemic change.
For more information, link to Parent Involvement Resources page here.