Connect2Complete Service Position Description
TITLE: Connect2Complete Academic Engagement Specialist
HOURS OF SERVICE: Full Time
JOB DESCRIPTION: The Connect2Complete Academic Engagement Specialist will serve at Woodland and Hartley Elementary School SUN programs or Kelly Elementary School SUN Program, hosted by Latino Network. The primary function will be to engage students in academic interventions through the roles of mentorship and project coordinator to increase attendance and student engagement.
SCHOOLS: Woodland/Hartley Elementary, and Kelly Elementary
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES AND RELATED TASKS:
- Collaborate with SUN Community School Site Manager and the school to create a high quality program that supports academic achievement and the healthy development of students.
- Assist with tracking participants and monitoring the building to ensure safety and security.
- Act as a positive role-model for students
- Assist with the outreach and recruitment of community organizations and resources to support the SUN program, the school community and neighborhood, and the needs of students and their families.
- Actively develop rapport with students, staff and families.
- Improve family access to schools and educators; educate parents on how to navigate the education system on behalf of their children; and support their children’s education experience
- Maintain communication with families through phone calls and in person to inform parents of meetings, classes and special events
- Work with Site manager and school staff to organize events that promote students and family engagement in school activities
- Administer program assessment
- Participate in regular check-ins with supervisor
- AA or BA/BS degree preferred or equivalent experience
- Ability to work well with people of diverse backgrounds
- Strong organization, problem-solving and written and oral communication skills
- Basic office computer skills, including word processing
- Program management (marketing, event planning, training, volunteer management) experience.
- Strong initiative; self-starter
- Ability to creatively problem solve
- Enthusiasm for helping others succeed
- Willingness/openness to learn about and discuss racial equity and social justice issues
- Academic knowledge of critical theory and race relations in the United States
- Experience applying an equity lens
- Bilingual English-Spanish preferredand cross-cultural knowledge and skills.
- Lived experience that reflects that of the students and families to be served in the school community.
- Ability to connect with, and learn from historically underserved populations.
- Cultural connections to and understanding of communities of color as they have developed in the United States, particularly in the Pacific Northwest.
- Positive kid management and communication skills.
- Well-versed in Microsoft Office, including Excel and Publisher.
- Able to create attractive promotional materials, spreadsheets and perform data entry.
- Knowledge of the Portland and local school community
- Excellent coordinating and organization skills including the ability to engage a broad spectrum of community members in the SUN Community School Program and activities.
- Ability to organize, prioritize and complete multiple and varied tasks.
- Ability to communicate directly and effectively both orally and in writing.
- Living stipend of $12,530 (distributed over 10.5 months)
- Education Award of $5,815.00
- For More Information Contact: Latino Network