POSITION TITLE: Seasonal Market Support Specialist
REPORTS TO: Family Stability Manager
COMPENSATION: $12.64-15.82 Hourly
Non-Exempt, Part-time, Temporary position
CLOSING DATE: Open until filled
Latino Network’s mission is to provide transformative opportunities, services and advocacy for the education, leadership and civic engagement of our youth, families and communities. Our work springs from the core belief in Latino community self-determination—that is, the ability of community members to participate meaningfully in the decisions that affect their lives and the lives of their families. We build and manage collaborative and energetic teams to implement high quality, culturally inclusive programs. We actively partner across a variety of city, county, state and community organizations to deliver training and support, a wide range of services, as well as influencing policy.
Latino Network seeks a bilingual, bi-cultural mission-driven professional with proven nonprofit and community experience to provide Market support. This is a roll-up-your-sleeves position with the capacity to impact the lives of Latino youth and their families. If you are caring, resourceful, outcome-orientated and able to build strong relationships, then Latino Network is the place for you.
This position is critical to the continued growth and sustainability of Latino Network’s youth workforce development and entrepreneurship programs. The Market Specialist will work closely with the Family Stability Manager and youth in the program to maintain and expand our established Palomitas Kettle Corn stand, primarily by running the summer market stall, Saturdays from April through September. This is a seasonal, part-time position (approximately 10 hours per week) with the potential to grow following programs success. The Market Support Specialist will operate with a great deal of autonomy and will be responsible for the day-to-day operations of a successful concession program including set up, transportation and operation of concession equipment. The Market Support Specialist will also be responsible for communicating clearly and directly with youth of the program. This position brings the opportunity to innovate and expand the range of services offered through the café, and to be a voice for the Latino community in our region.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Load equipment each Saturday morning during market season at 7am to have the Palomitas staff set up no later than 8:30am (as per Gresham Saturday Market regulations)
- Safely operate the kettle corn equipment as needed to ensure a steady supply of product for sale
- Track sales, inventory and supply needs as required
- Actively supervising and training youth to ensure effective operation
- Clean and break down concession equipment each Saturday
- Notify Program Manager immediately of any equipment issues or other problems
- Work collaboratively with and support youth completing work training hours in the café, including ensuring that youth maintain the till, equipment and inventory with accuracy and consistency
- Maintain accurate cash deposits in support of the entrepreneurship program
- Ensure that all tasks and duties are implemented with a high level of quality and fidelity
- Seek guidance and support in a timely manner as needed
- Participate in ongoing program evaluation and data analysis
- Maintain positive relationships with program participants, staff and guests at the Market, Latino Network staff, and other partner organizations
- Represent Latino Network in the community during work hours
- Perform other duties as assigned
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Demonstrate respect for, and willingness to learn from, communities most affected by social inequities
- Commitment to shared leadership and community empowerment
- 2 years experience working in the service industry or equivalent experience
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in Spanish and English (including public speaking)
- Knowledge of and experience in handling money in a retail setting
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with co-workers, youth, families and community members
- Experience in working with the Latino community
- Knowledge of systemic political, economic and social issues affecting Oregon Latinos
- Employ critical thinking and confidence in decision-making and carrying out actions
- Proven ability to work under pressure, manage time and prioritize tasks to meet goals and deadlines effectively
- Experience working with youth and the ability to effectively facilitate knowledge sharing and collaboration
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and work as a collaborative team member
- Commitment to personal and professional development
ADDITIONAL ADMINISTRATIVE AND PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Evening and weekend availability may be required, and work hours are flexible to accommodate program implementation; long hours during peak periods.
- Reliable transportation required. Automobile, driver’s license, and automobile liability insurance preferred; must be eligible to be an insured driver under Latino Network’s Commercial Auto Liability (or become eligible within three months of date of hire).
- Undergoing and passing criminal background checks is required
Latino Network is a fast-paced, highly engaged work environment with satellite operations within Multnomah County. We strive to communicate effectively and respectfully within the context of varying beliefs, behaviors, orientations, identities and cultural backgrounds. We actively seek opportunities for professional development for our staff and promote a willingness to change for continual improvement.
Latino Network provides paid sick leave
Application review begins immediately. Open until filled. Submit a cover letter and resume to HR@latnet.org, or mail to 410 NE 18th Ave, Portland OR 97232. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Due to the sheer number of applicants, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Latino Network is an EEO employer committed to the inclusion of people of color, lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people, women and people living with disabilities in our workplace and programs. We invite applications from candidates who share our commitment to this diversity.
For more information about Latino Network visit www.latnet.org or on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/latnet.
This job description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions; and nothing in this herein restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.