Raising Our Voices
Latino Network believes we must create a thriving, respected, and engaged Latino community. We believe our voice matters if we are to achieve this vision.
Latino Network’s leadership participates in advocacy efforts at all levels—from school boards to state legislatures—to remove the systemic barriers that limit our community’s access to opportunities and equitable outcomes.
Our programs build Latino capacity to shape just policies that secure a better future for our community, and all communities of color. At Latino Network, we:
- Train youth and adults in civic engagement and advocacy,
- Mobilize community members for key meetings and testimony,
- Secure a place at the table on local, county and statewide committees,
- Build coalitions of communities of color to lead change.
“I felt proud of myself and everyone else, because at that point I realized that our voices matter and that when we stand together and fight for what we believe in our voices are powerful and it’s possible to make a difference.” ~ Alfredo, student advocate, National Latino Advocacy Days in Washington, DC
- Along with a network of partners and Representatives, Latino Network worked to pass HB3499. This bill, which passed in spring 2015, creates more accountability for school districts to improve outcomes for English Language Learners and to ensure ELL funds are spent appropriately.
- Speak Up & Empower youth joined other youth for a rally at the Oregon State Capitol to raise awareness about mental health issues.
- Escalera youth and staff attended National Latino Advocacy Days in Washington, DC, where they had the opportunity to meet with Oregon representatives and share their stories.
Our Current Policy Priorities
- Increase funding for early literacy
- End disparities in juvenile justice and exclusionary school discipline
- Remove barriers to high school graduation for Latinos
- Fight for environmental justice in low-income communities
Join our network of advocates and receive updates on advocacy opportunities.